(2 - 9 × 1½ round pans)
2 eggs, separated
½ c. plus 1 cup sugar
1-1-ounce square unsweetened baking chocolate
1-3/4 c. flour
¾ t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/3 cup salad oil
1 c. milk
1-1-pound 4 oz. can pitted, tart red cherries, drained
½ c. port wine
1 T. kirsch
3-1 oz. square semisweet chocolate
3 T. Kirsch
1 egg, well beaten
½ pint heavy cream
2 T. sugar
6 T. butter, softened
1 - 1 pound package confectioners' sugar, sifted
¼ c. light cream
1-½ t. vanilla
2 c. whipping cream
1 T. sugar
1 t. vanilla
1. Grease and lightly flour 1 9x1½" round baking pans. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. CAKE: In a medium sized bowl, beat 2 egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add ½ c. sugar, beating until peaks are stiff. Set aside.
3. Melt chocolate and let it cool.
4. Sift together flour, 1 c. sugar, baking soda and salt. Add salad oil and ½ cup milk, and beat for one minute on medium speed of an electric mixer. Add additional ½ c. milk, 2 eggs yolks and melted chocolate. Beat 1 minute, scraping bowl often. Gently fold in egg whites Pour into pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes, then remove from pans and cool thoroughly. Split each layer in half making 4 thin layers. Set aside.
5. CHERRY FILLING: Combine drained cherries, port wine and kirsch. Chill 3 to 4 hours or overnight. Drain thoroughly.
6. CHOCOLATE MOUSSE: In the top of a double boiler, combine semisweet chocolate and kirsch. Stir over hot but not boiling water until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Slowly stir chocolate into well-beaten egg, stirring briskly as you do. Whip heavy cream, adding sugar, and fold into chocolate mixture. Chill 2 hours. (Can be made the night before)
7. BUTTER FROSTING: Cream butter. Gradually add about half the sugar, blending well. Beat in 2 T. cream and vanilla. Gradually blend in remaining sugar. Add enough cream to make icing of spreading consistency. Chill for 30 minutes.
TO ASSEMBLE. Spread ½ butter frosting on cut side of cake layer. With remaining frosting, form one ½" x ¾" high ridge around edge of same layer. Make another ridge 2 inches from outside edge. Chill 30 minutes, then fill spaces with drained cherries, reserving a few for a garnish. Spread second layer with chocolate mousse, and place on top of first layer. Chill 30 minutes. (It is important to chill at each stage or the cake will slide.)
TOPPING: Beat whipping cream, adding sugar and vanilla. Spread third cake layer with 1½ c. whipped cream and place on top of second layer. Top with fourth layer. Reserving ¼ c. whipped, frost sides of cake with remaining whipped cream. Sift powdered sugar over the top. Garnish with dollops of whipped cream, cherries and chocolate curls. Chill 2 hours before serving.