1 medium onion
24 oz. yukon gold potatoes
4 Tbs. Mayonnaise
1 tsp. chipotle powder
8 Tbs. BBQ sauce
2 Tbs. fry seasoning (equal parts onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika)
1˝ lbs. ground beef
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. butter
4 potato buns
1. Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce.
2. Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion; mince a few slices until you have 3 Tbs. Cut potatoes into ˝-inch-thick wedges.
3. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise with chipotle powder to taste (start with a pinch, then taste and add more from there if desired). Season with salt and pepper.
4. Melt 2 Tbs. butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add sliced onion and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, 10-15 minutes. TIP: Lower heat and add a splash of water if onion begins to brown too quickly.
5. Stir in half the BBQ sauce (save the rest for serving); cook until sauce is warmed through, 1-2 minutes more. Turn off heat; transfer to a medium bowl. Wash out pan.
6. While onion cooks, toss potatoes on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of oil, half the Fry Seasoning (you’ll use the rest in the next step), salt, and pepper. Roast on top rack until browned and tender, 20-25 minutes.
7. While potatoes roast, in a large bowl, combine beef, minced onion, remaining Fry Seasoning, salt , and pepper. Form into four patties each slightly wider than a burger bun.
8. Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for onion over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until browned and cooked to desired doneness, 3-5 minutes per side. In the last 1-2 minutes of cooking, top each patty with cheddar; cover pan until cheese melts. Remove from pan and set aside.
9. Spread bottom buns with remaining BBQ sauce. Spread top buns with chipotle aioli. Fill buns with patties and caramelized onion. Serve with potato wedges.