• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
• 4 eggs
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup flaked coconut
• 3 cups grated carrots (about 1 pound)
• 1 cup chopped walnuts
• CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
• 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
• 2 sticks butter, softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 4 cups confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray; lightly flour the pans.
2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, combine granulated sugar, oil, eggs, baking soda, flour, cinnamon, salt, coconut, carrots, and walnuts, beating 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until a smooth, thick batter forms. DO NOT OVER-MIX! Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pans.
3. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and the tops are golden. Let cool completely.
4. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, make frosting by combining cream cheese and butter; mix well. Add vanilla; mix well. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, continuing to mix until well combined.
5. Place one cake layer on a serving platter and frost top of cake. Place second layer on top of frosted layer. Frost top and sides of entire cake. Cover and chill until ready to serve.