1. Mix together water, yeast and sugar. Let sit for about 5 minutes until yeast has dissolved and expanded.
2. In a stand mixer, add 3 1/2 c. flour, salt and yeast mixer. Mix together. Add the remaining cup of flour 1/4 cup at a time, mixing after each addition, until dough comes together and is not overly sticky. You may not need all the flour.
3. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
4. Let dough rise for 30 minutes, covered.
5. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place a greased baking sheet. Spray each roll with 2-3 mists of water from a spray bottle.
6. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
7. Bake at 500 degrees for 2 minutes. Spray with additional mists of water. Lower heat to 400 degrees and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
8. Brush with butter while warm, if desired.
9. Serve warm, or cool before serving.