1 pound chicken breasts
1 tsp. olive oil
2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 red onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic. minced
15 oz. black beans (drained)
15 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
8 c. chicken broth
1 fajita seasoning packet
˝ c. brown rice, optional
Possible Garnishes: reduced fat cheese, scallions, avocado
1. Place a large sauce 6-8 qt. pot over medium heat. Add the oil, chopped bell
peppers, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften.
2. Add whole chicken breasts, black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, 1 fajita
seasoning packet, and ˝ tsp. salt. If adding rice, stir it in with an additional 2 c. of
water. Bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Use tongs to remove the cooked chicken breasts. Allow the soup to continue
simmering to fully cook the rice, another 10-15 minutes. Allow the chicken to cool
for a few minutes, then shred with two forks.
4. Once the rice is tender, add the shredded chicken back to the soup. Taste, and
salt and pepper as needed.
* This soup has a nice light fajitas flavor. If you like a more robust soup, use the
fajita packet + 1 tsp. ancho chili powder, 1 tsp. cumin, and 1 fresh chopped
For a low carb option, omit the brown rice.