4 Tbsp (½ stick) butter
¼ c all-purpose flour
½ large onion, chopped (or 1 small)
2 green bell peppers, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
3 c (24oz) V8 juice
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
tabasco sauce (optional)
1 Tbsp Creole seasoning, to taste (Tony Chachere's)*
½ tsp salt, to taste
¼ tsp pepper, to taste
*Alternative to pre-mixed Creole seasoning
1½ tsp paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp dried basil
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1. Chop onion, bell pepper and celery. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring continuously, until the roux turns light brown, about 6-8 minutes.
3. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook until slightly softened, stirring frequently.
4. Gradually add V8 juice, stirring in between each addition until smooth. Bring to simmer and add tabasco sauce (optional), creole seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add shrimp and simmer until shrimp is just cooked, 10-12 minutes
Serve over rice