1 box penne, 1 pound
¾ pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ pound Gruyere cheese, shredded
½ cup shredded Asiago cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoon flour
2 cups milk
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Once water boils, add penne. Cook 6 minutes, then drain.
3. In a large bowl, toss all cheese together. Set aside.
4. Melt butter in medium sized pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth and slightly bubbly. In a thin stream, whisk in milk. Stir in onion powder, salt, cayenne and white pepper. Bring to boil, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat.
5. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Whisk in 2½ cups of the cheese mixture. Stir in the cooked penne into this cheese mixture. Pour half into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with ½ of remaining shredded cheese. Spoon rest of penne over this and top with remaining cheeses. Bake for 20
minutes then increase oven temp to broil for 3 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving.