2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb Italian Sausage
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion- (1 whole large onion)
2 cup diced carrots (about 4-5 medium)
2 cup diced celery (about 6-7 stalks)
4 cloves garlic, minced (1.5 Tbsp)
3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
3 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
1/2 cup water, then more as desired- typically use more chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning
1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 tsp granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1- 2 cup dry ditalini pasta
1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
Finely shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese , for serving
3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
1. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat, crumble in sausage and cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through.
2. Drain fat then transfer sausage to a plate, set aside. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in same pot.
3. Add onions, carrots, and celery and sauté over medium-high heat until tender about 6 minutes, add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer.
4. Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, water, canned tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram and cooked sausage then season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft, about 15 - 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile prepare ditalani pasta according to directions on package, cooking to al dente.
7. Add cooked and drained pasta to soup* along with kidney beans and great northern beans. Thin with a little more broth or water if desired.
8. Allow to cook 1 minute longer. Stir in parsley, serve warm with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.