4 oz uncooked elbo macaroni (or shells)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup whole milk
1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 cup Fontina cheese, grated
1 tsp salt (optional)
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
2 cups Panko bread crumbs
Oil for frying
Parmesan cheese for garnish
Parsley for garnish
1. Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain.
Make cheese sauce:
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour. Whisk and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add milk, cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, Fontina cheese and salt (if desired). Continue to cook, stirring often until sauce is smooth.
4. Add sauce to pasta and stir well.
5. Place into a 9x13 rectangular dish and flatten out.
6. Put in the freezer for 20-30 minutes or until slightly hard but not frozen.
7. Slice into squares and remove to form a ball (with your hands).
8. Place balls on a tray and put back in the freezer for 10 minutes.
While they are in the freezer, set up your breading station:
9. Mix eggs with milk in one dish, flour in another dish and panko crumbs in another dish.
10. Coat the macaroni balls one at a time in flour, then dip in egg milk.
11. Roll in panko crumbs.
12. Re-dip in egg milk and again in panko crumbs.
13. Heat oil to 350ºF
14. Deep fry macaroni balls for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain.
15. Plate by placing macaroni balls on top of marinara sauce and garnish by sprinkling Parmesan cheese and parsley on top. Serve immediately.