1. Heat 2 tbsp (30ml) of oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the curry powder and ginger and saute for 30 seconds.
3. Add the rice and stir until the grains are coated with curry and oil.
4. Add the salt, cover with water and bring to a boil.
5. Cover, reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Be careful the rice does not boil dry.
6. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Transfer the rice to a large bowl and refrigerate until cold.
7. Place coconut in a frying pan over medium heat. Toast to a light brown colour - set aside.
8. Bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to boil. Add the chicken pieces, reduce the heat and simmer for approx. 10 to 12 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
9. Drain and transfer the pieces to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. When chicken is cooled, chop into 1-1/2 inch to 2 inch cubes.
10. To prepare vinaigrette, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl until the salt has dissolved.
11. Add the oil and garlic and mix well.
12. To assemble the salad, place the rice, cooked chicken, celery, red pepper, raisins, and apples in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over and toss well. Just before serving, sprinkle with toasted coconut and toss lightly