1 lb breakfast sausage
8-10 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
8 large eggs
2 2/3 cups whole milk
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp ground dry mustard
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
12 oz Italian bread, cubed into 1/2" pieces
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
minced fresh parsley, for garnish
chopped fresh chives, for garnish
dollop sour cream, for garnish
Make Night Before
9x13 baking pan, 350º 40 mins
1. In a large skillet, brown and crumble sausage & bacon until cooked. Drain and set aside.
2. Use a bread knife to cube Italian bread into 1/2" pieces, then set aside. Combine shredded cheddar and Gruyere cheeses, then set aside.
3. To a large mixing bowl, add eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard, dried parsley, black pepper, and paprika. Whisk until combined.
4. Add cubed bread pieces to the bottom of 3-quart oven-safe pot or 9x13" baking pan. Top with crumbled sausage, bacon, and 3/4 of the cheeses. Pour egg custard over the top, using a wooden spoon to push any un-soaked bread down into the custard gently. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheeses.
5. Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate overnight.
6. Remove from refrigerator, uncover, and let sit at room temperature while the oven preheats to 350 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Serve hot, topped with garnishes if desired.