2 c. all purpose flour
½ c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ c. milk
¼ butter, softened
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
For the topping:
¼ all purpose flour
¼ finely chopped pecans (optional)
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
3 T cold butter
1. Preheat oven to 350º and grease a 9 inch square baking pan
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and baking powder. Cut butter into small pieces. Add egg, milk, butter, and lemon peel; mixing until dry ingredients are moistened. (You may need to finish mixing with your hands to get flour incorporated as batter will be VERY thick).
3. Fold in the blueberries. This may take a few minutes because the batter is so thick. Spread mixture into the greased 9-in square baking pan.
4. For topping, combine sugar, flour, pecans, and cinnamon in food processor or bowl. Add butter and process or cut in until mixture is crumbly.
5. Sprinkle topping over batter in pan and bake at 350º for 40-45 minutes.