1 lb. lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
1 c milk
1 ½ c panko bread crumbs
salt and pepper
2 celery ribs
½ c chopped onion
1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
1 Tbsp butter
4 oz shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
¼ c heavy cream
2 tsp dijon mustard
½ tsp hot sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp Old Bay seasoning
4 Tbsp veg oil
1. Place crabmeat and milk in bowl, ensuring crab is fully covered. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place ¾ c panko in a bag and finely crush with a rolling pin. Transfer to 10-inch skillet and add remaining panko. Toast over med-high heat for about 5 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to a shallow dish and add salt and pepper. Wipe out the skillet.
3. Pulse celery, garlic, and onion in food processor until finely chopped, 5 to 8 pulses. Transfer to a large bowl and rinse the bowl and blade of the processor. Melt butter in empty skillet over medium heat. Add chopped vegetables, ½ tsp salt, and ⅛ tsp black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened and all moisture has evaporated, about 4 to 6 minutes. Return vegetables to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature. Rinse out the pan and wipe it clean.
4. Strain crabmeat through fine-mesh strainer, pressing to remove milk but being careful not to break up lumps of crabmeat.
5. Pulse shrimp in food processor until finely ground, 12 to 15 pulses, scraping down bowl as needed. Add cream and pulse to combine, 2 to 4 pulses, scraping down bowl as needed. Transfer shrimp puree to bowl with vegetables. Add mustard, hot sauce, lemon juice, and seasoning, and stir well to combine. Add crabmeat and fold gently with a rubber spatula, being careful not to overmix and break up lumps of crabmeat. Divide mixture into 8 balls and firmly press into ½-inch thick patties. Place on rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Coat each cake in panko crumbs, firmly pressing to adhere crumbs to the exterior. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Place 4 cakes in skillet and cook without moving them until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Using 2 spatulas, carefully flip cakes, add 1 Tbsp oil, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook until second side is golden, 4-6 minutes. Transfer cakes to platter. Repeat with next 4 cakes. Serve immediately