1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large white onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (6 zo) can tomato paste
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup white wine
2 Tab sugar
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp ground oregano
1/2 tsp salt (x2) will be used separately
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley + 2 Tab
1 lb. lasagna noodles
30 oz ricotta cheese
1 large egg
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 lb. thinly sliced mozzarella cheese (about 24 slices)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot over medium heat, add in ground sausage and ground beef. Use a spoon to break up meat into small pieces. Add in onion and garlic and cook until meat is well browned, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, fresh basil, fennel seed, oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of parsley. Pour in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and wine (the white wine can be replaced with red wine, chicken broth or beef broth). Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1-4 hours (the longer the better), stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, place lasagna noodles into the bottom of a pan. Pour hot tap water directly over the noodles, making sure they are completely immersed in water. Let them soak for 30 minutes, then drain and discard water.
3. In a mixing bowl,, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining, 2 Tab of parsley, 1/2 tsp salt and nutmeg. Refrigerate until ready to assemble lasagna.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a deep 9x13 pan.
5. To assemble, spread about 1 cup meat sauce in bottom of prepared pan. Place 4 noodles on top. Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1-1/2 cups of meat sauce over the mozzarella, then sprinkle with 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Repeat layering two more times to create three complete layers. To finish, place a final layer of pasta, topped with another cup of meat sauce to cover the pasta. Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes to allow cheese to brown.