1 c cold butter, cut into cubes
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c - 1/3 c ice water. Only enough to make a soft dough
3 c whole milk or 1.5 c coconut milk and 1.5 c skim milk
1/3 c flour
2/3 c sugar
1 c fine, unsweetened coconut
3 slightly beaten large egg yolks
4 tbsp. butter
2 tsp vanilla
Vanilla Whipped Cream:
1 c whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp. icing sugar
1. For pastry, using a pastry blender cut butter into flour and salt until coarse. Pour cold water over the mixture and mix with fork until dough starts to form.
2. Divide dough into 2 balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in fridge for 20 min. You can freeze extra ball of dough
3. Roll the dough into 12 inch round and place in 10 inch pie plate.
4. Poke a few holes in the bottom with a fork and place in fridge to rest for 20 min.
5. Bale at 400F for 12 - 15 min until brown
6. Scald milk on stove until almost boiling, constantly stirring.
7. Meanwhile in a separate saucepan combine flour, sugar, salt and coconut.
8. Over med heat, slowly add 1 c of milk whisking constantly. As it thickens add another c of milk stirring constantly. Continue until all milk is added.
9. Continue to cook until mixture begins to slightly thicken.
10. Remove from heat and pour 1/2 c of this mixture into egg yolks.
11. Pour egg mixture back into pot, continuing to stir.
12.Cook for additional 2 min until filling reaches pudding consistency.
13. Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla
14. Cool for 20 min before pouring into pie shell.
15. For whipped cream, combine whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla. Beat to form soft peaks. Spread on top of cooled pie. Garnish with toasted coconut before serving.