25g (1oz) butter
25g (1oz) plain flour
300ml (½pt) chicken stock
100ml (3½fl oz) milk
2tbsp créme fraiche
1tsp dried mixed herbs
salt and black pepper
1tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, sliced
350g (12oz) chicken breast, cubed
125g (4oz) cooked ham, cubed
100g (3½oz) frozen peas
350g (12oz) ready-prepared puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1. Place the butter, flour, stock and milk in a medium saucepan. Cook over a moderate heat, and continue whisking with the balloon whisk until the mixture starts to thicken.
2. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and add the créme fraiche and herbs. season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then simmer for 2-3 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the chicken and onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened and the chicken has browned.
4. Stir the chicken and onions into the sauce, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the ham and peas.
5. Preheat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF/Gas 6). Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then divide it between four small individual pie dishes or one large one.
6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface, then cut out four circles, slightly larger than the top of the pie dishes. Use the scraps to make thin strips to cover the edges of the pie dishes.
7. Brush the edges of the pie dishes with the egg, then press on the strips of pastry. Brush with egg again, then place the pastry lids on top. Use your finger to seal the edges of pastry together.
8. Brush the tops with egg and make cross in each pie to allow the steam to escape. Cook for 20 minutes at the top of the oven, until the pastry is puffed and golden.