1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt
2. With a pastry blender, cut shortening into dry ingredients until the mixture is the consistency of coarse meal
3. Combine milk and egg. Add gradually to blended mixture to form a soft dough. Knead until well mixed. Chill for 1 - 3 hours.
4. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Roll out to ¾ inch thick. Cut out circle with a floured cutter. Place on a greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 450ºF for 10 - 12 minutes
For Herb Biscuits add 2 tablespoons mixed herbs, parsley, basil, oregano, etc. to biscuit dough
For Cheese Biscuits, add ½ to 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, omit sugar