1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. Cut in the shortening until mixture is crumbly.
4. Slowly add in buttermilk, a little at a time, JUST until a wet dough forms. (may need to use slightly more or less buttermilk as stated) Set aside.
5. Melt 7 tablespoons of butter and pour it into a 8x8 glass baking dish.
6. Spoon the biscuit dough on top of the butter and gently spread it out.
7. Precut the dough into 9 squares. (this will allow the butter to get to all corners of each biscuit)
8, Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden. (If the tops are still pale when almost done, flip the oven to broil to add some golden color to the tops but watch it carefully!)
9. Remove from oven and allow the butter to absorb into the biscuits.
10. Brush the tops of the biscuits with remaining tablespoon of butter.