6 oz skinless catfish fillet, cut into 1/4-inch dices
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 small onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
1 small green bell pepper, diced (about 3/4 cup)
2 tsp paprika
1 cup BBQ sauce
2 oversized burger funs (or other soft rolls, such as brioche) split horizontally
Homemade BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup molasses
3 tablespoons Worcestershire
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
optional: a few pinches of cayenne for extra heat, if desired
1. Season catfish with salt.
2. Heat medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add oil, onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often until vegetables bein to soften, about 3 minutes.
3. Stir in paprika and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
4. Add catfish and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently so all sides of fish come in contact with hot pan.
5. Stir in BBQ sauce and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low nd simmer until thick, about 10 to 12 minutes.
6. Butter rolls and lightly toast, buttered side down in skillet. Fill buns and serve hot.
Homemade BBQ Sauce Directions:
1. Combine ingredients. Whisk all ingredients together in a medium saucepan
2. Simmer. Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer (uncovered) for 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce has slightly thickened.
3. Serve. Use the sauce immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 1 week.