1. Finely crush vanilla wafers with rolling pin or blender.
2. Add butter, lemon juice and 1 Tbs. sugar - mix well.
3. Press firmly on bottom and about halfway up the sides of
buttered 9" springform cake pan.
4. Beat cheese until softened.
5. Add egg yolks and mix well.
6. Add 1/2c. sugar, flour and salt - blend well.
7. Beat in milk and vanilla.
8. Beat egg whites until foamy, add 1/4c. sugar and beat until
stiff but not dry.
9. Fold beaten egg whites carefully but thoroughly into the first mixture.
10. Pour into the crumb-lined pan and bake in moderate oven
at 325º for 50 minutes or until firm.
11. Cool; remove sides of pan. (This cake will shrink some).
Wash and decap 1 quart of strawberries. Crush enough to make 1 cup, keep remainder whole. Put crushed berries, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and 1 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch in saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thick and clear, stirring constantly. Add desired amount of red food coloring. Force mixture through a fine sieve. cool. Arrange whole berries on top of cheesecake. Pour glaze over berries and chill.