1 pound (3 cups) sliced strawberries
1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
For sweet biscuits:
3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
2 tbsp baking powder (yes, Tablespoons!)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (180g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1 cup (240ml) buttermilk (see personal note, below)
2 tbsp (30ml) heavy cream (or buttermilk)
Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
1. Stir the strawberries and 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar together in a large bowl.
Cover and set in the refrigerator until ready to use, to release delicious juices.
2. Preheat oven to 425 F. Mix the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl or in a large food processor, whisk or pulse until combined.
3. Add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or by pulsing several times in the processor. Pulse until coarse crumbs form. If you used a food processor, pour the mixture into a large bowl.
4. Pour buttermilk on top. Stir everything together until just about combined– do not overwork the dough. The dough will look like shreds and be very crumbly.
5. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and gently mold it together in a ball using your hands. Gently flatten until it is evenly 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 3-inch circles. Re-roll any scraps until you have about 12 biscuits.
6. Arrange in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or close together on a lined baking sheet. (Make sure they’re touching)
7. Brush the tops with 2 tbs heavy cream (or buttermilk), sprinkle with coarse sugar.
8. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before assembling.
9. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream, 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar, and vanilla on medium-high speed until soft-medium peaks form, about 3 minutes.
10. Slice the biscuits in half and layer with strawberries and whipped cream. Serve immediately.