For the Cake
1½ c. very ripe bananas, 3 fresh bananas or 4 thawed previously frozen bananas
2 tsp. lemon juice
3 c. AP flour
1½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¾ c, softened butter
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1½ c. buttermilk, or milk soured with one Tbs. vinegar or lemon juice
For the Frosting
½ c. softened butter
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3½ c. powdered sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 275 F, and grease and flour (or spray), a 9×13 cake pan.
2. Mash banana and mix with lemon juice and set aside.
3. In a med bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. If you’re making your own buttermilk, combine milk and vinegar (or lemon juice) in a small bowl, and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
7. Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
8. Stir in bananas.
9. Pour into cake pan and bake 1 hour and 10 mins (or until knife comes out clean). *if need be, cook longer, checking every 10 minutes until cake is fully cooked.
10. Immediately place in freezer for 45 minutes. (if not completely cool upon removal from freezer, let cool further before icing).
11. Cream butter and cream cheese.
12. Beat in vanilla and icing sugar on low until combined, then high until smooth.
13. Frost cake and enjoy!