1. Preheat oven to 350º. Spray 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a bowl, whip together butter and 1 cup of sugar until pale and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking power and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until combined after each addition.
5. Fold in strawberries. Spread batter in prepared pan. Top batter with saved sliced strawberry for fancier look.
6. Sprinkle raw sugar evenly over cake batter.
7. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
8. Let the cake cool completely in the pan and serve cake from the pan.