1. In a large soup pot, melt the butter and cook the onions, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes. Stir onions occasionally.
2. When the onions are soft and transparent, sprinkle the sugar over them and stir the onions, cooking uncovered about 10 minutes or until onions are brown and caramelized. (Mine sometimes take up to 30 min.). Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add beef stock and sherry and cook another 30-40 minutes.
1. In a large skillet melt butter and stir in grated Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Add 1 cup stuffing mix and coat with butter. *I usually triple this cause the family loves the croutons.*
2. In a single layer, on a cookie tray, bake at 350º until the cubes are dry and crisp.
In a soup bowl (I use a crock) ladle in soup, put in croutons and top with a slice of Swiss cheese. Broil on high until cheese is melted.