1lb top round roast, thinly sliced
4 Turano, Gonnella, or Amoroso sandwich rolls
1/4lb beef fat trimmings
4 C water
2 beef bouillon cubes (double-sized cubes, or use 4 standard size)
1.5 tsp kitchen bouquet browning and seasoning sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
Pinch of MSG
1. Preheat oven to 400║F
2. Chop beef fat into small bits (size of peas) with food processor. Make sure the fat is really cold, it will chop better. Heat up the fat in a sautÚ pan over medium heat until the bits are browned. Strain the solids from the fat and measure 1/4 C. of fat for the gravy.
3. Make the beef gravy by combining all of the gravy ingredients, including the beef fat, in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the mixture begins to boil, reduce heat and summer for 5 minutes, then turn the heat to low.
4. Make the sandwiches by heating up the rolls in the hot oven for 3 minutes.
5. For each sandwich, drop 1/4 pound of sliced beef until the gravy for 2 minutes. Make sure the gravy isn't boiling, it should be around 180║F. After the beef has soaked in the gravy, use tongs to arrange the beef on a warmed sandwich roll and top with your choice of hot giardiniera or sweet peppers, or both. Spoon on some gravy just before serving, or use in a separate cup to dip.
For pressure cooking the round roast:
- Preheat pressure cooker by putting setting on broil for 5 minutes
- Put round roast on rack and broil for 25 minutes
- Then change setting to bake at 250║F for an additional 20 minutes.
- Let it fully cool and then slice into thin strips