1-3/4 cups chopped mixed candied fruit
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons rum, divided
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
1-1/2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
1-1/4 cups butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon almond extract
7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
4 large eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons water
2 to 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1. In a small bowl, combine candied fruits and 1/2 cup rum; let stand, covered, 1 hour.
2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, butter, sugar, salt, lemon zest, almond extract, remaining rum, yeast mixture and 4 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Cover and let stand in a warm place, about 30 minutes.
3. Beat in eggs. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Drain candied fruit, reserving rum for glaze. Reserve 1/2 cup candied fruit for topping. Stir almonds and remaining candied fruit into dough.
4. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
5. Punch down dough; divide into 3 portions. On a greased baking sheet, roll each portion into a 12-in. circle. Crumble one-third of the almond paste over one-half of each circle. Fold dough partially in half, covering filling and placing top layer within 1 in. of bottom edge. Cover with kitchen towels and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°.
6. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and water; brush over loaves. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
7. In a small bowl, mix reserved rum with enough confectioners' sugar to make a thin glaze. Drizzle over stollen. Sprinkle with reserved candied fruit.