½ c. unsalted butter
1¼ c. light brown sugar, packed
1 loaf thick, high quality bread, slicked about 2 inches thick
6 large eggs
2 c. milk (whole milk or 2%)
2 Tbs. vanilla extract
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
Powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Lightly grease an oven safe 9x13 baking dish.
2. Melt butter in a small pot over low heat. (Alternatively, melt in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in between, until melted.)
3. Add 1 c. brown sugar, mixing well to combine. (If on the stove, let simmer for 1 minute to slightly dissolve the sugar.) Pour mixture into prepared dish and spread out evenly to coat.
4. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Set aside.
5. Combine remaining brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Set aside.
6. Arrange bread in a single layer over the butter/sugar mixture in the dish.
7. Pour half the egg mixture over the bread. Top with half of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
8.Arrange remaining bread slices over the top. Pour remaining egg mixture over the top, then sprinkle remaining brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. Lightly press bread into the egg mixture to ensure slices are evenly soaked.
9. Cover dish tightly with foil and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to soak up the egg mixture, or overnight for the best results.
10. When ready to bake, take the dish out of the refrigerator 20 minutes before baking (if it has been refrigerated overnight) to chill out. Preheat oven to 350º.
11. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for a further 15 minutes. Take out of the oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with maple syrup.