Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri
Prep Time:10 min
Inactive Prep Time:--
Cook Time:1 hr 40 min
• 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large)
• 1 cup pecans
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for preparing baking dish
• 3/4 cup agave syrup, preferably amber
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 cup whiskey
• 2 cups crisp apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1-inch pieces
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and cook the potatoes whole, do not pierce. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Lightly squeeze the potatoes - if they are soft, they are done. Let cool.
If using canned potatoes, drain and continue at this point.
In a small saute pan over high heat, add the pecans and lightly toast. Add 4 tablespoons of butter, reduce the heat to medium, add the agave and spices, and allow to simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the whiskey and continue to simmer for 5 minutes more.
Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Butter the bottom and sides of an 8 by 8-inch baking dish. Arrange the sweet potatoes, alternating with the apples. Pour the whiskey-pecan mixture over the top and place in the oven.
Bake for 30 minutes, basting the top with the whiskey sauce once at 15 minutes.
Remove and serve immediately.