(1) Grease and flour 29 inch round cake pans and line the bottom with two circles the parchment paper. Sift together both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar, set aside.
(2) In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the vegetable oil, shortening, vanilla and lemon extract. Beat well at her speed with a whisk attachment until light and fluffy
(3)Beat the eggs in one at a time
(4) Fold in the lemon zest
(5) Fold and dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk
(6) I always add dry ingredients in three divisions and liquid ingredients into 2 divisions. It is very important to begin and end the Additions with the dry ingredients. Do not over mix the batter. As soon as it has no lumps in the batter pour into two prepared 9 inch cake pans.
(7) Bake at 325 for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.
(8) for the frosting : Mix together the icing sugar lemon zest and butter until it becomes sort of crumbly
(9) add the lemon extract in a little of the milk
(10) Beat until smooth and fluffy adding only enough milk to bring the frosting to a creamy spreadable consistency