1/2 pound of sweet Italian Pork Sausages
1/2 pound of hot Italian Pork Sausages
1/3 cup of olive oil
6 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 (14.5 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup tomato paste
Kosher salt and fresh pepper
1 pound dried orecchiette pasta
2 bunches broccoli rabe
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Prick sausage and place on pan and roast for 15 to 20 minutes (Or pan fry). Slice 1/4 inch thick set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in large heavy pot, add sausages and saute for 5 minutes until brown, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes and their juices, red wine, tomato paste, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, let simmer over low heat while you prepare the pasta and broccoli.
5. Bring large pot of water to boil and add 1 teaspoon of salt, add pasta and cook for 9 minutes. While pasta is cooking, cut broccoli into 2-inch pieces. Add to pot of pasta after 9 minutes and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes, until pasta is al dente and broccoli is crisp tender.
6. Drain keeping 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.
7. Add pasta and broccoli to tomato/sausage mixture, stir in Parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon of salt, stir in reserved liquid, serve with extra cheese on side.