EQUIPMENT NEEDED: Stand mixer with paddle attachment; 9-inch angel food cake pan w/o removable bottom.
1 C Veggie Oil, plus extra for cake pan
3 3/4 C All-Purpose flour, plus extra for cake pan
1 1/2 C Sugar
1 C Honey
1/2 C Light Brown Sugar, lightly packed
3 Extra Large Eggs, at room temp
2 tsp grated orange zest (1-2 oranges).
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 TBS Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1/2 tsp Ground Allspice
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1 C hot Coffee
1/2 C Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice (2 oranges).
1/4 C good Bourbon, such as Maker's Mark (I like Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey).
1/2 C Blanched Sliced Almonds
PREHEAT OVEN to 350F
Brush cake pan with oil, line bottom with parchment paper, then oil and flour pan.
NOTE: Make sure to oil sides of pan --- cake may stick to sides if not oiled.
1. In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix oil, both sugars, honey, eggs, orange zest and vanilla on medium speed for about 1-min.
2. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and all spices.
3. Combine coffee, orange juice and bourbon in a 2-cup glass measuring cup.
4. With mixer on low, alternately add the flour and liquid mixtures to the oil-sugar mixture in thirds, beginning and ending with flour, until combined.
5. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula. Don't worry, batter will be very liquid!
6. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Rap pan 5 times on counter to get rid of air bubbles.
7. Sprinkle top with almonds. Bake in the center of oven for 40-45 mins, until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. POKE ALL AROUND CAKE, ESPECIALLY CENTER.
8. Cook completely, then remove cake from pan and place almond side up on a flat surface (cake plate or stand). Serve at room temp.