¼ cup vegan butter or olive oil
5 cups broccoli, chopped (approx. 2 heads)
⅔ cup chopped carrots (approx. 2 carrots)
⅔ cup chopped celery (approx. 2 ribs)
⅔ cups chopped onion, (approx. 1 onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 tbsp flour
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups original or unsweetened non-dairy milk (I recommend original cashew)
¾ cup full-fat canned coconut milk (or sub with more non-dairy milk)
¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
½ tsp salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1. In a medium saucepan, heat vegan butter or olive oil over medium heat. Add the broccoli, carrot, celery, onion, and garlic.
2. Sauté until onion is translucent and just tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle vegetables with flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
4. Gradually add vegetable broth and non-dairy milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Add the coconut milk and nutritional yeast. Simmer soup over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
5. Blend the soup to your liking. I recommend puréeing ½ to ⅔ of the soup smooth.
6. If desired, adjust consistency with vegetable broth or non-dairy milk. Stir in white wine vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, vinegar, (and if desired, sugar if using unsweetened non-dairy milk – refer to recipe notes).