1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon mustard powder
pinch of cayenne, or more to taste
1 cup pearled farro
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
burger buns or rolls, for serving
1. Set a large stockpot over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. When hot, add in the onion, carrot and pepper. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the veggies are tender. Add in the garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, mustard powder and cayenne. Cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
2. Add in the farro. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add in the broth, tomato sauce, worcestershire, vinegar and brown sugar.
3. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, cover, turn down the heat to medium / medium-low and let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost all of the liquid is absorbed. The farro should be tender and a little chewy.
4. Remove from the heat, stir in the salt and let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
5. To serve, spoon on a burger bun (we like to toast the buns first!). You can also top with cheese, if desired.