2½ to 3 lb. pot roast, trimmed and cut into 1½" chunks
2 T. olive oil
2 large onions
4 large carrots
4 large stalks celery
12 cloves garlic, peeled
¾ c. dry red wine
2½ c. chicken broth
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 T. sugar
3 large bay leaves
1½ T. oregano
1½ T. salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
1 tsp. rubbed sage
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
juice of one lemon
½ c. cream
½ c. fresh basil, chiffonade
1 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil on medium high and brown meat on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. In a food processor, chop onions, carrots, celery and garlic cloves until minced. Add to Dutch oven and sauté until softened. Add a bit more oil to keep from burning if necessary.
3. Preheat oven to 350º
4. Add red wine, chicken broth, crushed and diced tomatoes and sugar and bring to a boil.
5. Add beef, bay leaves, oregano, salt, pepper, sage and red pepper flakes to Dutch oven. Mix well.
6. Bake in oven for 3 hours, stirring every hour. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
7. Break up beef with a fork. Add lemon juice and mix well. Add cream and mix well.and heat through on stove top.
8. Garnish with fresh basil. Add parmesan to taste