½ c. unsweetened coconut flakes
2 c. slivered raw almonds
1 ¼ c. raw pecans
1 c. raw walnuts
3 T. chia seeds
1 T. flax seed meal
1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
2 T. coconut, cane, or muscavado sugar
¼ tsp sea salt
3 T. coconut or olive oil
⅓ scant cup maple syrup (or sub agave or honey)
¼ c. dried blueberries (optional)
¼ c. roasted unsalted sunflower seeds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325º F and position a rack in the center of the oven.
2. In a large bowl, combine the coconut, nuts, chia seeds, flax seed, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and salt.
3. In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the coconut oil and maple syrup and pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet (may require two depending on size) and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove from oven, add dried blueberries and roasted sunflower seeds, and stir.
5. Increase heat to 340º F and return to oven for another 5-8 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
6. The coconut oil will help this granola crisp up nicely, but be sure to watch it carefully as it browns quickly.
7. Once the granola is visibly browned and done cooking (about 27 minutes total for me), remove from the oven and let cool completely.
8. Store in a container with an air-tight seal, and it should keep for a few weeks.