1. Preheat oven to 325º and grease 9 x 13 baking dish.
2. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente (follow directions on package). Drain (do not rinse) and drizzle with
a little olive oil to keep from sticking.
3. While pasta cooks, grate cheeses and mix together and then separate them into 3 piles. 3 C. for the sauce, 1
1/2 C. for the inner layer and 1 1/2 C. for the topping. Also, mix the milk and half & half in a big measuring
4. Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Mixture will look like
very wet sand. Cook for approximately 1 minute, whisking continuously. Slowly pour in about 2 C. of the milk
mixture, while whisking constantly, until smooth. Slowly pour in the remaining milk mixture while whisking
constantly until smooth.
5. Continue to heat over medium heat, whisking very often, until thickened to a very thick consistency. It should
almost be the consistency of a semi thinned out condensed soup.
6. Stir in the spices and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, stirring to melt and combine. Stir in another 1 1/2 cups of the
cheese, and stir until completely melted and smooth.
7. In a large mixing bowl, combine pasta with cheese sauce. Pour half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish,
then top with 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese, then top with the rest of the pasta mixture.
8 Sprinkle the top with the rest of the cheese and bake for 15 minutes. You can also put the broiler on "HI" and
cook to make to top crispy/lightly browned. Watch closely so it doesn't get too brown.
When I first made this baked mac & cheese recipe, Vince loved it so much he named it Fire Mac! It's one of his favorites. I think everyone that tries it, loves it! I try to make it for special occasions - since it probably has a million calories. LOL
You can make it a couple days in advance - just mix all the ingredients and cover tightly, put in fridge. When ready to make, set it out on the counter for 30 min. before baking in a 325º oven for 25 to 35 min.