1. Cream together sugar, butter then and eggs
2. Add 4 cups shredded apples ( can use a food processor with grate attachment -squeeze out some of the juice)
3. Add soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, flour and nuts and mix until all combined
4. Pour into greased 9x13 pan
5. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
General directions - see exception
Combine ingredient in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently. When sugar is dissolved simmer on medium low for 5 minutes until mixture starts to thicken.
***exception for the Basic Sauce: Add 1/2 cup sugar and butter and lightly brown it - sugar does not need to be melted all the way, just cook together until it just barely starts to get a golden brown color. Remove from the heat and pour in boiling water stirring constantly, scrapping the bottom. Then add the rest of the sugar and flour mixture and return to heat stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture starts to thicken. Simmer for 5 minutes, then take off heat and add vanilla.
Serve warm over cake. A dollop of whipped cream would be yummy on top