- stir all dry ingredients together till blended
- separate the egg yolks from the whites
- whisk the yolks only and put the egg whites to the side
- mix together in a glass bowl the milk, beaten egg yolks and vanilla flavoring
- stir in the dry mixture till well blended
- heat in microwave on high for 2 minute increments (see option 2)
- stir and continue to heat in microwave every 2 minutes until mixture thickens
- stir after heating every 2 minutes
- when thick, pour into pie crusts
- when cool, spread on the Cool Whip (see option 1)
option 1: If you would like to top the chocolate pie with meringue rather than Cool Whip, use the 4 egg whites to make it. Preheat oven to 350º. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating constantly, until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue on pie. Bake until meringue is golden.
Option: 2 Option: If you would rather not heat the pudding in the microwave, pour the pudding batter into the pie crusts and bake in a 350º preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until pie is not "wobbly" when shaken.