1¼ cup butter, softened, divided
2 cups chopped pecans
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
8 oz. (2 pkgs) cream cheese, softened.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 pounds confectioners' sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk, as needed
pecans for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour or spray Baker's Joy three 9" round cake pans.
2. In a medium heavy skillet, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat. Add pecans, cook until toasted and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Spread across sheet of foil to cool.
3. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine; set aside.
4. In a separate large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour (flour in 3 parts, milk in 2). Fold in toasted pecans.
6. Divide between cake pans and bake 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing from pans. Cool completely.