3 celery stalks
3 (or more) garlic cloves, minced
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained (optional)
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound ground pork or italian sausage
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 14-ounce cans tomato puree
olive oil for sauteing vegetables
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 pound pasta
Parmesan cheese for serving
1. Chop vegetables. Alternately, you can use frozen chopped onions, carrots, celery (miripoix).
2. Saute onions, carrots, and celery in olive oil until tender, Add garlic and saute until garlic is tender. Set sauteed vegetables aside.
3. Saute meat until just cooked through.
4. In large pot, combine meat and vegetables.
5. Add spinach, breaking up clumps and stirring until combined.
6. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir to combine.
7. Add Italian seasoning and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
8. Bring to low boil over medium heat. Lower heat, cover and let simmer while you prepare the pasta according to package directions.
9. Serve sauce over pasta, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.