• 4 Lamb shanks
• 1½ Tbsp olive oil
• 2 bay leaves
• 4-5 shallots quartered
• 2 celery stocks cut 1 inch chunks
• 2 med carrots cut 1 inch chunks
• 2 parsnips cut 1 inch chunks
• 3 garlic cloves quartered
• 2 Tbsp tomato paste
• 3 sprigs each fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage tied together
• 1 c Guinness
• 1-2 cups of beef stock
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
2. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper
3. Heat oil in a small Dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown the lamb shanks on all sides including the ends. Remove to a plate.
4. Reduce heat to medium and add shallots, carrots, celery, garlic, parsnips and bay leaves to the Dutch oven. Cook until ingredients start to brown.
5. Add Guinness, fresh herbs and salt and pepper to taste
6. Cooking until the beer is reduced by half.
7. Return the lamb shanks to the Dutch oven and add enough beef stock to come halfway up the sides of the shanks
8. Cover and place in the center of the oven and cook for 2-3 hours turning every hour, uncover for the last 20-30 mins
9. Remove the lamb to a plate Drain and reserve the sauce, disregard the veggies.
10. Return the sauce to the pan and bring to a boil. Thicken with corn starch and water mixture.