4 Lamb shanks
1½ Tbsp olive oil
2 bay leaves
4-5 shallots quartered
2 celery stocks cut 1 inch chunks
2 med carrots cut 1 inch chunks
2 parsnips cut 1 inch chunks
3 garlic cloves quartered
2 Tbsp tomato paste
3 sprigs each fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage tied together
1 c Guinness
1-2 cups of beef stock
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a small Dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown the lamb shanks on all sides including the ends. Remove to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add shallots, carrots, celery, garlic, parsnips and bay leaves to the Dutch oven. Cook until ingredients start to brown.
- Add Guinness, fresh herbs and salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking until the beer is reduced by half.
- Return the lamb shanks to the Dutch oven and add enough beef stock to come halfway up the sides of the shanks
- Cover and place in the center of the oven and cook for 2-3 hours turning every hour, uncover for the last 20-30 mins
- Remove the lamb to a plate Drain and reserve the sauce, disguard the veggies
- Return the sauce to the pan and bring to a boil. Thicken with corn starch and water mixture