Heat the oven to 400 F.
1. Lightly grease baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
2, In a shallow bowl or pie plate, combine 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and the cinnamon; set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the shortening until it is smooth and creamy. Gradually beat in 1 1/2 cups sugar. Continue to beat for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Stir in the vanilla extract.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, soda, salt and cream of tartar. Add sifted ingredients to creamed mixture; stir until well blended.
5. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture.
6. Arrange the cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
7. Bake the snickerdoodles in the preheated oven for about 6 minutes, or until lightly browned.
8. Remove the warm cookies to wire racks to cool.