1 ½ tablespoons baking powder 4 cups flour
1 ½ or more cups hot water 1 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-quart vegetable oil for frying
1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Gradually add in the water, mixing with a spoon or your hands until combined. It will be sticky.
2. Cover and let rest 2 hours. This is not a risen dough so the dough will not rise, but it does need to rest.
3. Drizzle olive oil over the dough. Pull off golf ball sized pieces of dough and stretch or roll out until very thin, without ripping it. The thinner the better.
4. Pour enough vegetable oil into a pot to cover it with 2 inches of oil. Heat to 350 degrees
5. Working one at a time, fry the dough in the hot oil until golden brown, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.