1 Tbsp. Chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
Black pepper to taste
1 - 2½ to 3 pound piece boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 5-6 pieces
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
½ cup ketchup
½ cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. molasses
2 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
Hot Sauce to taste
6 sesame hamburger buns, split and toasted
Coleslaw and pickles, for topping
Potato chips, for serving
1. Whisk the chili powder, cumin, paprika, 1 tsp. salt, the cayenne and a few grinds of black pepper in a large bowl.
Add the beef and toss to coat well.
2. Set a 6-quart Instant Pot to saute on high. When hot, add the vegetable oilm then add the beef in a single layer and cook, turning, until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the beef to a large plate and cancel the saute setting.
3. Add ⅔ cup water to the pot. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up the bottom of the pot. Return the meat to the ot along with any juices from the plate. Put on and lock the lidm making sure the steam valve is in the sealing position. Set the pot to pressure-cook on high for 45 minutes. When the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then carefully turn the steam valve to the venting position to manually release any remaining pressure.
4. Meanwhile, stir the ketchup, vinegar, molasses and brown sugar in a small bowl. Add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Remove the beef to a clean plate. Set the pot to saute on high. Add the ketchup mixture and simmer until reduced by half, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, shred the beef with two forks, discarding any large pieces of fat. Return to the pot and stir until well coated. Cancel the saute setting and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Divide the meat among the buns and top with coleslaw and pickles. Serve with chips.