4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon, freshly ground black pepper
1 cup unsullfered molasses
2 Tablespoon grated peeled ginger
2 Tablespoon light rum
2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup trans-fat free vegetable shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1. In large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, all spice, salt, and pepper. In small bowl combine molasses, rum, ginger and baking soda.
2. In another large bowl with mixer on medium speed, beat shortening until softened. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in egg until well combined. Reduce speed to low. Alternately add flour mixture and molasses mixture; beat just until blended, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
3. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Flatten each piece into a disk; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough 4 hours overnight, or until firm enough to roll.
4. Preheat oven to 325. On lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll 1 disk of dough 1/8 inch thick. With floured 3-to 4-inch holiday shaped cookie cutters, cut out as many cookies as possible; wrap and refrigerate trimmings. Place cookies in 1-inch apart, on ungreased large baking sheet.
5. Bake cookies 12 to 14 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough and trimmings.
6. When cookies are cool, use small spatula or decorating bags with small writing tips to decorate with Ornamental Frosting. ( Thin frosting with a little warm water to obtain the right consistency if needed.) Set aside to allow frosting to dry.