1 c sugar
¾ c butter, softened
¼ c molasses
2¼ c unbleached all purpose flour
2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
½ t salt
½ t ginger
½ t cloves
¼ t nutmeg
Sugar for coating, optional
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, butter and molasses together.
2. Beat in egg until light and fluffy.
3. Mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, cloves and nutmeg together until well combined.
4. Cover dough and refrigerate for about an hour. This makes handling the dough much easier.
5. Preheat oven to 375°.
6. Roll dough into 1 - 1½ in balls.
7. Roll each ball in sugar to coat.
8. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let sit for 1 minute before removing cookies and placing on wire rack to cool.