• 4 large eggs
• 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 4 cups frozen corn (about 20 ounces), thawed
• 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• 3 cups soft bread crumbs
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
• Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk together first four ingredients; stir in corn, 1-1/2 cups cheese and onion. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
• Toss bread crumbs with melted butter; distribute over casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
• Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and heated through, 35-45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Any leftover bread can be used to make the bread crumbs. Use an egg bread for a golden hue, whole grain bread for a heartier texture or sourdough for a hint of tang.
Try using finely chopped red onion or shallots to add a touch of color to the casserole.
For a sharper cheese flavor, use an aged Swiss.
To make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.