⅔ cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 packet (7 g) yeast
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup (83 g) potato starch
½ cup (80 g) brown rice flour
¼ cup (29 g) finely ground almond flour
¼ cup (34 g) tapioca starch plus more for flouring your surface
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon xanthan gum
2½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
¼ cup olive oil
½ teaspoon vanilla
good quality plastic wrap for rolling out (and up!) the dough
⅓ cup butter, softened
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
¾ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a pie plate.
1. Combine yeast and sugar in large mixing bowl.
2. Microwave milk and 1 tablespoon butter to approximately 110-115 degrees. Whisk into yeast mixture and set aside to proof.
3. Meanwhile in small bowl whisk together potato starch, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, almond flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt.
4. Once yeast is proofed add in egg, oil, and ½ teaspoon vanilla. Mix for a moment and then slowly add in the flour mixture. Turn the mixer up to medium-high and beat for 1½ minutes - beating long enough is essential, GF flours are "thirsty," the dough will thicken & lose it's stickiness as you beat it.
5. Roll out the dough to approximately a 13" x 10" rectangle. Cover work surface with a good quality plastic wrap and then a light layer of tapioca starch. Place dough in the center and cover with a bit more tapioca starch and another sheet (or two) of plastic wrap. Roll out to the needed size and then carefully peel off the top layer of plastic wrap.
6. Using a knife or spatula gently spread the ⅓ cup softened butter over the dough evenly leaving ½" space around the edges.
1. In a small bowl combine brown sugar & cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over dough.
2. To roll your dough: start on one of the shorter sides and gently begin rolling your dough into a log form. Use the plastic wrap to help you "lift and roll" the dough as you go along. Try to make it a nice tight roll, however do not try to unroll it and re-do it. You'll end up with a sticky mess.
3. Sprinkle lightly with tapioca starch again. Dip a sharp knife into tapioca starch then cut the rolls into 8 pieces.
Place the rolls, cut side down, in the prepared pie plate*. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel, place in a warm spot, and let them rise for 15 minutes.
4. Bake 22-27 minutes until tops are golden brown.
1. Meanwhile, in mixing bowl, beat 3 tablespoons softened butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla and a dash of salt.
2. Drizzle over the tops of cinnamon rolls as soon as they come out of the oven.