1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ butter, softened
½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
½ cup buttermilk (just add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to milk and let sit for 5 minutes)
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
⅔ cup buttermilk
1 ½ cups heavy cream
2 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 10-inch cake pan. Line with parchment paper. Grease parchment.
1. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine butter and ½ cup sugar; beat on high until fluffy. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Scrape down sides of bow. Add ½ cup buttermilk and the almond extract; beat until smooth. Add flour mixture; beat until just combined.
3. Spoon into prepared baking pan; spread evenly. Bake about 30 minutes or until cake is golden and toothpick comes out clean.
4. In a medium bowl whisk together sweetened condensed milk, ⅔ cup buttermilk, and ½ cup cream. Using a skewer, poke cake all over. Pour mild mixture over warm cake. Chill, covered at least 3 hours or overnight. Invert cake onto a wire rack. Remove parchment. Transfer to a serving plate and bring to room temperature at least 30 minutes before serving.
5. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine strawberries, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes.
6. Beat remaining 1 cup cream & powdered sugar with mixer to stiff peaks. Spread over cake. Top with berries.