1 1/5 cups very ripe bananas (3 fresh bananas or 4 thawed, previously frozen bananas)
2 tsp lemon juice
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup soft butter
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk or milk soured with one Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
1/2 cup softened butter
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/5 cups icing sugar (also known as powdered sugar or confectioner's sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 275º F, and grease and flour (or spray) a 9x13 cake pan.
2. Mash bananas and mix with lemon juice an set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. If your making your own buttermilk, combine milk and vinegar (or lemon juice) in a small bowl and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Beat in flour mixture alternating with buttermilk. Stir in bananas.
6. Pour into cake pan and bake 1 hour and 10 minutes (or until knife comes out clean). If need be, cook longer, checking every 10 minutes until cake is fully cooked.
7. Immediately place in freezer for 45 minutes. (if not completely cool upon removal of freezer, let cool further before icing)
8. Cream butter and cream cheese. Beat in vanilla and icing sugar on low until combined, then high until smooth.
9. Frost cake and enjoy!